Director of Communications and Engagement
Regis High School transforms Catholic young men through an academically exceptional Jesuit education in a caring community which inspires leadership, generosity, and a lifelong passion for service as Men for Others. Regis is tuition free, and merit based, giving special consideration to families in need of financial assistance.
As a Director of Communications and Engagement you will have the extraordinary opportunity to work with approximately 530 exceptional, gifted young men, talented faculty, and committed staff. Located in New York City, Regis High School is a Catholic, Jesuit, college preparatory school and the only Jesuit, full-scholarship high school in the country. The school was founded in 1914 through the extraordinary generosity of an anonymous woman and her family. Regis now relies on philanthropy of alumni, parents, and friends as its most significant source of financial support. Regis is committed to both academic excellence and fostering a spirit of generosity and service to those in need. Regis seeks to inspire and educate the ethnically diverse young men in its care to become imaginative Catholic leaders committed to promoting justice and exerting leadership in the Church, in their civic community, and in their future chosen profession. The school expects one to conduct oneself at all times in a manner which shall not bring reproach upon oneself or the school.
Regis High School seeks a passionate, mission-driven, and experienced individual to play a pivotal role in the development team and the administration of the school overall. The ideal candidate is an experienced communications and marketing professional with a proven track record of results and a demonstrated aptitude for leadership. The Director of Communications and Engagement is responsible for leading all communications efforts at Regis, primarily within the Office of Development but with responsibilities extending to other areas of administration and the broader school community as well.
Reporting to the VP for Development, the Director of Communications and Engagement (“the Director”) directs and oversees all marketing, communication, and alumni relations initiatives at Regis High School, including print publications, media relationships, brand management, news stories, web and email design, social media, and alumni relations strategies. The Director manages the Alumni Engagement Coordinator and the Communications Associate.
- Directs all external and internal communications for the school, working closely with the President and senior leadership to determine and execute long-term strategic priorities.
- Creates and delivers strategic advancement messaging to engage our community through multi-platform communications to share the Regis High School story with our key constituencies.
- Oversees the school’s alumni relations efforts, including an annual calendar of reunions and other events, affinity groups, and alumni-specific communications and services.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the school and oversees media relations efforts, including managing and executing crisis communications strategy.
- Manages the design and production of all professionally printed material, including magazines, direct mail packages, brochures, booklets, stationery, postcards, banners, and event programs and materials.
- Serves as the Editor for the Regis News magazine, writing content and setting deadlines for contributed content, in addition to managing design process.
- Leads the marketing and promotional efforts behind fundraising campaigns, including the Annual Fund, capital campaigns, Giving Tuesday, and Giving Weekend, among others.
- Directs the productions of regular news stories for publication on the Regis website and the promotions of those stories within other communications channels.
- Oversees the school’s social media strategy, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Monitors various department social media accounts and set guidelines for appropriate content.
- Defines the school’s website design and layout and manages web content.
- Directs a robust broadcast email program that deploys hundreds of designed, targeted email messages to our constituents each year.
- Maintains a Graphic Identity Guide for all school logos, colors, typefaces, and stationery (both print and digital), and sets guidelines and standards for how departments and employees use the Regis High School brand.
- Provides executive communications guidance and support to the President and other senior leaders as needed.
- Oversees the school’s graphic design, photography, and videography needs through a combination of in-house execution and directing the work of freelance creative professionals.
Qualifications & Skills
- A minimum of three to five years of professional communications/marketing experience is required.
- Understanding of and a passion for Regis’s mission of educating young men in the tradition of the Society of Jesus including a respect for and understanding of Regis’s Jesuit and Catholic culture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent visual design judgment.
- Ability to articulate complex ideas in a meaningful way. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing communications projects, including coordinating, and collaborating with others to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress.
- Hands-on experience in Adobe InDesign products is preferred.
- Experience with HTML design for email and web is preferred.
- A self-starter with the ability to initiate and follow through on new programs and projects that strive to achieve strategic and organizational goals.
- Creative and analytical skills.
- Ability and confidence to represent Regis High School to many constituents and external organizations, including media outlets.
- Occasional evenings, weekends, and travel are required for this position.
A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business, liberal arts, non-profit management or other related field is required. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Evidence of continuing professional education through conferences, seminars, or professional associations is preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
90-125K. Commensurate with experience and level of success in institutional communications and advancement. Benefits package is comprehensive and competitive.
All faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
The job description is to be used merely as a guide of expectations rather than an exhaustive list of all duties and competencies. All requirements and skills are subject to change as the organization needs evolve.
Send a resume
and compelling letter of interest
by e-mail to email@example.com
. Qualified applicants will be contacted regarding next steps once all required documents have been submitted.
Regis fosters an inclusive environment where we recruit and retain highly talented staff with differing abilities and who maintain a belief in the critical importance of diversity in the life of a school. Regis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.